A Little Bit About Farmington Arkansas 72730
City Profile Farmington, Arkansas was settled in the 1820’s by William H. Engles of Virginia who operated a grist mill along the banks of the Farmington Creek. During this period the town was known as Engles Mill until Mr. Engles renamed the town Farmington. He saw the area as a farming community well suited to farming and raising families. Farmington was incorporated in the late 1940’s with the majority of the city used for agricultural purposes. The majority of businesses in Farmington today are service and retail based industries. Farmington is the third fastest growing city in Washington Countybehind Fayetteville and Springdale. According to the 2010 census, the population of the city is 5,974.
provided by www.cityoffarmingtonar.com
One of the oldest and largest nurseries in the United States was based in Farmington. Stark Brothers Nursery was started in 1902 and continued for almost 70 years.
The Ozark and Cherokee Central Railroad (the O.C. & C.) and later the St. Louis-San Francisco (Frisco) Railroad stopped at the Frisco depot. Short trips could be taken by residents on the “Dinky” train. The railroad was abruptly closed on the morning of July 10, 1942 and the depot was dismantled and thrown onto an empty railroad car. As local businesses depended upon the O. C. & C., they were dramatically affected by its closing.
The McNeal store was at one time the biggest in the county. Opening in 1913, this store was in business until 1974. Besides groceries, the store had auto parts, harnesses for horses, and mules, feed, medicine, and dry goods. Anything the people of the community needed, they stocked. Many farmers traded in the store, many on credit. Sales began between six and thirteen dollars a day back in 1913 and increased to over a hundred per day by 1919. Sales declined during the depression, one day in 1933, the sales totaled $2.75. A huckster line was started and the younger McNeals loaded a truck with groceries and drove to the neighboring farmhouses.
During the day, the McNeal store was a favorite place to “sit a spell” on the front porch. At night, seated on nail kegs around a pot-bellied stove, stories were told about World War 1 and an eccentric resident known as the Cance-Wilson ghost. The Cance-Wilson ghost has reportedly been seen and has chased some of the area residents.
During the strawberry season, Farmington and the surrounding area, people traveled throughout the area to help pick. Strawberry growers would give tickets to pickers to tell how many quarts they picked. These tickets became known as “strawberry tickets” and could be redeemed for credit at the McNeal store or cash. If traded for cash, the value was about one to two cents per ticket. One of the most successful seasons yielded 153 train carloads. The McNeal store building still stands and was home to Bailey’s Furniture which opened in 1996. Currently the store is home to a flea market.
Farmington is governed by the mayoral/council form of government. Our current mayor is Ernie Penn. His term of office is four years and each council member’s term is two years (there are eight council members.)
The City has a eight member planning commission who evaluates every development proposal for the City.
The police department employs ten full-time officers.
Our fire department has a fulltime chief and 26 volunteer members and was the first department in the four state areas (Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, andKansas) to receive the Class 4 rural and Class 4 city fire rating and is completely certified by the state of Arkansas in both equipment and personnel.
— City —
Washington County and the state of Arkansas
4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)
4.8 sq mi (12.4 km2)
0 sq mi (0 km2)
1,188 ft (362 m)
751/sq mi (290.7/km2)
Central (CST) (UTC-6)
– Summer (DST)
GNIS feature ID
Farmington, Arkansas was settled in the 1820’s by William H. Engles of Virginia who operated a grist mill along the banks of the Farmington Creek. During this period the town was known as Engles Mill until Mr. Engles renamed the town Farmington. He saw the area as a farming community well suited to farming and raising families. Farmington was incorporated in the late 1940’s with the majority of the city used for agricultural purposes.
The majority of businesses in Farmington today are service and retail based industries. Farmington is the third fastest growing city in Washington Countybehind Fayetteville and Springdale. According to the 2010 census, the population of the city is 5,974.
Farmington borders Fayetteville to the west and sections of Fayetteville along Highway 16 are north of the city. The city of Farmington and Fayetteville have been growing in recent years, and Farmington is arguably transitioning from small town into a suburb of its larger neighbor.
Farmington is located at (36.042343, -94.245254).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12.4 km²), all of it land.
Farmington Schools (http://www.farmcards.org) are a 4-A school district. Farmington‘s mascot is the cardinal and their team colors are cardinal red and white (and sometimes black depending on the uniform).
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,605 people, 1,337 households, and 1,013 families residing in the city. The population density was 750.6 people per square mile (290.0/km²). There were 1,390 housing units at an average density of 289.4 per square mile (111.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.01% White, 0.64% Black or African American, 1.75% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 0.94% from other races, and 2.41% from two or more races. 2.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,337 households out of which 43.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.2% were non-families. 19.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.70 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.7% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 34.5% from 25 to 44, 16.1% from 45 to 64, and 8.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 93.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $38,969, and the median income for a family was $43,472. Males had a median income of $30,317 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,387. About 5.2% of families and 7.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.3% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.